BRAD HOFF is an independent journalist, teacher, and Marine veteran. He is the founder and managing editor of Levant Report and has written for Antiwar.com, Libertarian Institute, Foreign Policy Journal, Assyrian International News Agency, Medium News & Politics, Commonweal Magazine, The Canary (UK), NEWSREP and others. His work has been referenced and sourced in publications ranging from The Huffington Post to The Daily Beast to The New York Times to Headline and Global News (HNGN) to Middle East Eye, as well as by Zero Hedge, WikiLeaks, The Daily Mail Online (UK), and many others.
Contact him via Twitter
Read about how he came to love Syria and its people in “A Marine in Syria” below…
View at Medium.com
Key documents and articles referenced in the show:
- My original report on the 2012 Defense Intelligence Agency ‘Islamic State’ document.
- 1980 DIA report “Assad’s Prospects” at CIA FOIA Reading Room.
- 1982 DIA “Special Analysis” entitled “Syria: Muslim Brotherhood Pressure Intensifies” (this was initially viewable at Foreignpolicy.com but is now not available at this location)
- DIA reports on Muslim Brotherhood/Syrian Government conflict from 1980’s are covered in an Oct. 2014 article by Sharmine Narwani
- An excellent little known background history of CIA/Western clandestine intervention in Syria going back to the 1950’s, and the regional “pressure cooker” that aided Syria’s formation into an authoritarian security state: “The Baby and the Ba’ath Water” by the BBC’s Adam Curtis
- 2011-2012 Arab League Observer Mission to Syria report documenting attacks and sabotage of Syrian resource infrastructure by unknown groups.
- For commentary and a selection of relevant passages from the Arab League report, see here.
- My December 2013 article covering mainstream media admissions of rebel chemical weapons possession and usage.
- Final United Nations report on chemical weapons usage in Syria.
- “Gay Girl in Damascus” hoax which was originally pushed in international media for propaganda purposes.
- CNN’s “Syrian Danny” hoax; also see Anderson Cooper’s final awkward interview with Danny in which Anderson asks him about the staged nature of Danny’s video reports from Syria.
- Wall Street Journal coverage of Joseph Schmitz and Blackwater (now called Academi) attempt to carry out a large scale private weapons shipment plan to arm anti-government fighers in Syria.
- For more about the “long war” for the identity of Syria, see Patrick Seale’s foundational work on modern Syria, Asad: The Struggle for the Middle East (1988). For scholarly discussion of the question of clandestine external support for the 1982 Hama uprising see especially chapter 19, “The Enemy Within.”
Truth in Media/Joshua Cook — Military veteran and journalist Brad Hoff has a unique perspective of Syria after living there off and on for years.
“I ended up settling down in Syria, and loved the culture, loved the people,” he said to Joshua Cook in an exclusive interview.
Hoff said that of course he saw problems there, but the typical stereotypes that he had of the region shattered.
“Got really interested in how the media was covering Syria, and that’s what really got me involved in writing about the place,” he explained. “The mainstream media writing about the conflict in Syria just completely failed on so many fronts.”
The Daily Beast’s coverage of the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) report, Hoff said, was a hit piece…
LISTEN TO THE INTERVIEW at Truth in Media…